Thursday, August 09, 2007

'The Big Day'



This BBC1 programme provoked cries of disbelief here at LDB towers. The concept is that your wedding is planned in five days by your friends and family. You and your betrothed have no idea what is going on and have only to turn up on time. How can this be a good idea?!! Think of everything that could go wrong: (in an increasing scale of disaster) the reception being in Pizza Hut, losing all your friends and family forever, the dress being hideous. Moreover, who could willingly give up planning the most self-centred and indulgent day you're ever going to get? This is your one chance to debate over what shade of sugared almond to plump for, to force your sister into a peach puffball, to obsess over stationary for god's sake! Actually on second thoughts, maybe this is the way weddings should be...any thoughts out there?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, no and no again! There is no way that anyone should willingly agree to this unless they have a heart condition or are completely inept! I admit I am a bit of a 'Monica' and I could certianly never do this myself but why would ANYONE want to potentially ruin the best day of their lives? Why would you want to subject this magical day to someone else's tastes and ideas? If you had particularly jealous friends they could make your day miserable instead of the joyous event it should be! Not a good idea in ANY way!

Anonymous said...

No Way!
Choosing your dress is one of the most important and exciting things. I would never let someone make that choice for me.
The day should be about you and your partner and what you both want, not what your friends and family think you want.
People will do anything to get on TV now and it makes me mad.
I hate programmes like this, but somehow end up getting hooked in and watching them!

Jane Lovering said...

Part of me thinks this might be a good idea. I'm planning a wedding for next August, and at the moment I'd be grateful to hand it all over to others. The rest of me knows my mother's taste in dresses... Anyway, they say half the fun is in the anticipation.